Sunday, January 4, 2009

"If You Want To Walk On Water..." (8/10/08, Proper 14A/Ordinary 19A/Pentecost +13)

“If you want to walk on water…”
Proper 14A/Ordinary 19A/Pentecost +13
Matthew 14:22-33

Sermon from 8/10/08
RMC Installation Sunday



Do you remember watching Saturday morning cartoons or seeing cartoon clips at the movie theater? Since the 1940s Looney Tunes have been making people laugh on screen and Television. My personal favorites of the Looney Tunes were the Roadrunner clips where the Roadrunner seemed to always be able to escape whatever crazy plot Wile E. Coyote was able to cook up. With his kits from the ACME Corporation, the coyote would try to trap the Roadrunner for his dinner, but somehow it never seemed to go as planned. It always seemed to happen that the Roadrunner would somehow escape and then Wile E. Coyote would end up with the swirlies going around his head dizzy from whatever befell him. The best part, I thought, was when Wile E. Coyote would take off running, come to the edge of a cliff of some sort, keep running, and then, in mid air, realize there was no longer ground below him. It wasn’t until he realized he was in mid-air that he would go crashing to the ground.

These Roadrunner cartoons remind me of today’s Gospel reading, or should I say, the Gospel lesson reminds me of the cartoons. In today’s passage from Matthew’s Gospel that tells about Jesus’ life, we heard about a particular boat trip that occurs immediately after the 5000 men (and don’t forget the women and children that were there too) were fed by Jesus and the disciples. They finish the meal, and Jesus sent them off to the boat to cross the Sea of Galilee.

When I picture this scene in my head, I often envision calm seas, a nice evening’s boat ride across crystal seas with winds enough to keep them moving. But this was not a night of calm seas and a cool, light breeze. No, this night, the seas were rough. The text mentions they were battered by the wind. Battered is one word… another way to see it might be to say they were in a storm of all storms—hurricane-force in nature. Many of these disciples were fishermen by trade, so spending time on the water was a normal part of life. They had experience on the sea. But that night, it might be something like taking fisherman from Jordan Lake near here and placing them on a fishing vessel hunting King Crab in Alaska like is feature on the Discovery Channel’s “The Deadliest Catch.” If you haven’t seen the show, it chronicles a number of different captains, their ships, and crews as they head out to the Bering Sea to bring back crab---lots of crab. But, as the show’s website notes, they are often dealing with 40 foot waves, freezing temperatures, and a nearly 100% injury rate for the crew. Not exactly an easy, calm boat cruise. We’re talking life or death here.

Given these conditions, it is understandable that the disciples in that boat might be scared. The text does not mention them being scared, though, UNTIL they see what they think is a ghost walking toward them in these conditions. Who in his or her right mind would be out at that time of night –somewhere between three and six in the morning—coming toward them on the water? Some readings of this passage note they were very far out, around three miles from land. The fear has set in for the disciples. Who or what is that coming toward us? Is it a Ghost? It can’t be a person.

That’s when they hear the comforting words from Jesus, “Take heart, it is I. Don’t be afraid.” He’s saying, “Have courage. I am. Don’t be scared.” Jesus is reassuring them of who he is. He is God with us. The “I AM” would have reminded the disciples and listeners of when Moses received the Sacred name of God at the Burning Bush recorded in Exodus 3 “I am who I am” (Yahweh). God is present. Jesus is God incarnate—God in the flesh—a God who comes to them on the water to give them courage to face their fears and move beyond the fear to grow.

If that wasn’t enough of an exciting story, Peter, the disciple we often hear about it for his episodes of faith and doubt, asks this Jesus this water-walking-God-with –us to command him to walk on the water with him. Peter steps out in faith from the security of the safe, sturdy boat to walk on the 40-foot “Deadliest Catch” seas that Jesus has just crossed to reach the boat.

John Ortberg writes about this passage in his book, “If You Want To Walk On Water, You’ve Got To Get Out Of The Boat.” And it’s true. Peter could not be a water-walker and stay in his seat with the security of the boat around him. In order to walk on the water, you must get out of the boat. Ortberg describes two types of people—Water-Walkers—those who take the risk and step out to follow Jesus on the adventure of faith—and Boat Potatoes—those who’s fear keeps them seated in the safety of the boat (or on the couch at home) and watch what is going on but often doubt they can do it themselves. These folks are content as eyewitnesses to God’s work, but do not want to be involved for whatever reason. They stay in the boat with their life jackets fastened, big orange floaties on their arms, and don’t dare stick their toe in the water until the boat is safely on the shore.

I remember back three years ago when I wanted to be a Boat Potato and stay put in Raleigh. I was content here, happy in the area, had friends and family near by, and was in school— following God’s call at Duke’s Divinity School. I had taken a step of faith and started Seminary. I thought I knew what was best and was content with where God had me. But then I started to feel an unsettled feeling prodding from God pushing me to take the step out of my comfortable boat and become a Water-walker. I remember arguing with God over a couple of weeks that I did not want to go to Pennsylvania to finish school and things were great in the Raleigh/Durham boat. The winters are cold in Pennsylvania, and it’s so far away. I had spent a semester in Heidelberg, Germany in college, but some how Bethlehem, PA seemed so much farther away for so much longer of a time.

But, against my better judgment, I took a step out of the Raleigh/Durham boat, packed up the Uhaul, and headed to Pennsylvania. I heard Jesus’ call to come, but still didn’t know how it was all going to work out. Would I sink? Would I swim? Would I walk on water? Would I take one step and sink in, like Peter, or fall off the cliff like Wile E. Coyote is so famous for?

Hind-sight is 20/20 they say, and I believe it is true for my water-walking in Pennsylvania. I had a wonderful three years in Bethlehem and Emmaus, served two great churches there, made lots of friends and even gained a whole new family to add to my family here. I certainly did not plan on meeting Steve and getting married while in PA, but looking back I see how God’s hand was involved in my whole experience. I would not trade the time for anything, and even found myself sad to have to say goodbye and see you later to my family and friends there—which I would never have predicted three years earlier. I have seen myself grow in ways I could not have ever expected, and God taught me many things when I took a step outside the boat. You may be asking if I had a sinking experience like Peter did when he took the step out. Yes, there were times when I saw the wind and the storm and wasn’t sure how to stay afloat, but each time I eventually was able to reach for the Savior’s hand and be pulled to safety.

But what about all of us? How do we relate to this story? Are we sitting in the boat watching it all take place, amazed at all going on and declaring, “Truly Jesus is the Son of God” like those in the boat at the end of the passage. Though the disciples inside the boat might be called Boat Potatoes, they too were integral in the story as eyewitnesses and their worship of Jesus was enthusiastically noted in the Gospel. Maybe things in life have been crazy lately, and you need a break to just sit and worship and be in awe of God’s work in the world, and you are sitting in the boat taking it all in. You need to be built up in this community of faith to gain strength and courage to make the next life-move. Perhaps you are listening for Jesus’ command, “Come” to take your first steps on the water, but just haven’t heard the words or felt the nudges yet.

Or maybe you are tired of being in the boat of life and are tired of being an only eyewitness to the big events. Maybe it’s your time to step out and be a Water-Walker. You’ve made up your mind and the nudges from God must be followed. So you take the step out in faith and are keeping your eyes on Jesus. Maybe it’s time to make the career change you have been waiting for. Perhaps the new school year is going to be the opportunity you need to live your faith in the classroom and you’re ready to take that step.

Or maybe, like Peter, you have taken the step and now find yourself “seeing the wind and the storm” and doubts have crept into your mind. You feel your feet sinking down into the water and are in the midst of calling out to Jesus for help and safety. Or maybe doubts flood your mind and you can’t even call out to God yet. Life has gotten so hard that the step of faith you made seems so long ago. Don’t worry. Peter knew that feeling. Many of us know that scary feeling. Not that it makes it any easier now, but Jesus’ hand of safety is within reach.

One of the beautiful things I find is how Peter is in all three of these categories in the story. He is comfortable in the safe boat and asks for a COMMAND to get out, not just a typical request—there is force in the COMMAND that he needs to leave his Boat Potato world to become a Water-Walker. Then He doubts, sinks, and needs Jesus to save him. For most folks, these three situations are all part of the faith journey. I know I can relate to all three aspects of the disciples’ journey here.

It is my hope that we can all help each other listen for Jesus’ command of “Come Raleigh Moravian, Step out of the boat, we’ve got some water-walking to do.” We have the wonderful opportunity to take where we have been, listen and work together, and figure out when and where Jesus is leading us as we enter this new phase of Raleigh Moravian’s history. It’s a journey, and the water may not always be as smooth as glass, but our boat is here. Are you ready to have a seat, put on your life-jackets, and take the boat trip of a lifetime to become Water-Walkers together? If you want to walk on water, you’ve got to get out of the boat. Come on, We’ve got some water-walking to do. I am excited to be here to join in the ride with you. ALL ABOARD!!

Please pray with me:
God who walks on the water to be with us,
We thank you for the assurance that even in the midst of the storms of life, you seek us out and call us to you. Help us to have the courage to get in the boat ride of faith, and push us to grow to be water-walkers with you. We come from so many different backgrounds and life experiences, and we ask you to help us love and support one another in this journey as we discern your voice and seek your will. Be with us, guide us, and help us to feel your amazing love as we head out from this place to show your love to this community and world.
In the name of the one Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: