Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Technology Fast during Lent?

Ash Wednesday, February 17th, 2010

As Lent begins today, I have been thinking about what to give up and what to take on for the duration of Lent--40 days between now and Easter Sunday on April 4th, excluding Sundays (which are mini-Easter celebrations where fasts are broken for the day).  Giving up something helps us to draw closer to God each time we miss what we have given up.  This longing for whatever it is serves as a reminder that we truly only long for God.  What do you long for these days? 

I ran across this article out of England, and it really challenged me.  How could I give up technology, or at least a part of technology, for the Lenten season. 

So I've done it.  I gave up Facebook for Lent.  Before 2006, I didn't know what Facebook was.  Then I joined and quickly became addicted, like many I know who are on there as well.  I lived well before Facebook, and I can live well without it between now and Easter.  It's only 40 days.  I keep telling myself I don't need it, and this will be a good opportunity to prove to myself that I can live without it.  So if you need to contact me during the next 40 days, give me a call or email me.  But don't Facebook message me... or it'll be a while until you hear from me.  

Join me in a Lenten practice.  What are you giving up or adding this year? Another Lenten opportunity is to take on a new discipline or practice to draw closer to God this year.  I'm working on being thankful for the many special people in my life.  What are you taking on this year to draw closer to God?

Let's journey toward Easter together!

No comments: