Monday, November 16, 2009

Advent Preparations

So this year, I have been hyper-aware of Christmas preparations around town, and maybe, just maybe they are coming earlier this year than ever.  Is it just me? 

We were in Lowe's Hardware during the 2nd week of OCTOBER and they already had the Christmas section setup and ready.  The trees were on display and lit--ready to be taken home and set up ASAP!

Then, mid-OCTOBER brought out the Christmas wreaths on the outside of Crabtree Mall. 

In Target during the 3rd week of OCTOBER brought a Target shopping trip that caused me to feel like I was in the Twilight Zone-- I was walking down the aisle looking for something-or-another, and found the Hollow-mas section.  One side of the aisle was filled with candy and costumes, while the other side contained wreaths and ornaments.  It was bothersome on so many emotional levels to mix the aisle--my mind made me just walk away, and I felt I needed to just stop and shake it all off, like a dog after a bath.  I was bathed in this mix of holiday baggage and it was just too much to take.

So NOVEMBER brought ads for 24/7 holiday music on streaming live internet radio, and then today... November 16th, we mark the start of 24/7 music on the regular radio.  On one hand, I'm surprised they waited 16 days into November to start it.  On the other, it's 2 weeks till Advent even starts! 

I said recently, and I don't know if I read this somewhere or what, but reaching Christmas without pausing for Advent is like celebrating Easter without living through Good Friday... the holy-day still arrives, but it means so much more when we live into the preparations in life-giving ways.

All of this preparation just causes me to think more deeply about preparing my heart and home for the real reason for this whole season.  Not to get cliche, but I really do want, more than ever it seems, to put Christ back in "CHRIST-mas".  I am tired of the date for the Christmas season continually being pushed back earlier and earlier.  So this year, I'm trying to think differently about the season.  As I prepare to preach on the First Sunday in Advent to the theme of "Hope and Expectation," I am trying to wait with real hope and expectation to discover anew the reason we have all of this celebration in the first place.  I've been collecting websites and resources to help me refocus, and I thought I would share those with you too.  May these help all of us keep our eyes fixed on the poor, humble child who started the biggest revolution of all--Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior.  May your preparations be blessed and may you find your heart truly ready to recieve the Christ Child again this year.

http://www.adventconspiracy.org/site/

http://www.faith-at-home.com/

http://www.gracecathedral.com/advent/

http://www.buynothingchristmas.org/

http://www.geezmagazine.org/

No comments: